Stoyan Dechev (b. 1978, Smolyan) lives and works in Sofia, Bulgaria. He holds a License, MA and PhD from the National Art Academy Sofia in Sculpture. His projects combine sculpture, drawing, installation, animation and video. In an attempt to understand and react to contemporary events, his work often encompasses existential, political, historical and scientific subject matters.
His work has been presented among others at: Tranzit.ro/Bucharest, (2019); Week of Contemporary Art, Ancient Bath, Plovdiv, Bulgaria, (2019); Anca Poterasu Gallery, Spinnerei, Leipzig, Germany, (2019); Credo-Bonum, Sofia (2018); Idea Magazine #51 (2017); Sofia City Art Gallery, Sofia, Bulgaria, (2017); Sofia City Art Gallery - Vaska Emanouilova, Bulgaria (2015); Mosan Art Museum, Republic of Korea (2014); National Fall Exhibition, Plovdiv. Bulgaria (2013); The Fridge, Sofia, Bulgaria (2012); VI emes Jeux de la Francopfonie, Beirut, Lebanon (2008); M-tel Awards for Contemporary Bulgarian Art, Turkish Bath, Plovdiv, Bulgaria (2008); Foundation St. Cyril and Methodius Awards, Sofia, Bulgaria (2007)
Event Horizon, 2019.
- Material: aluminium and inox
- Width: 270.00 cm Height: 250.00 cm Depth: 250.00 cm
- References: http://week2019.arttoday.org/en/stoyan-dechev
- Material: marble, black limestone
- Width: 50.00 cm Height: 90.00 cm Depth: 90.00 cm
- Description: The development of our human society was possible because of many circumstances, some of the major ones are the ability of communication and the historical memory. The idea of passing on the knowledge to your heirs, through script, was a serious step further.
Just as the Rosetta Stone was the keystone for understanding the civilizations in the past, “Transcript“, looking as a stone monument, is an attempt to connect the oldest translated text in the history (the story of Gilgamesh from the library of Assyrian king Ashurbanipal) with latest tools for encoding (the QR Code).
- Material: animated film and action based sculpture (Full HD projection, paper planes)
- Sizes: dimensions variable
- Description: PLAYFLY is large installation conceived as a continuous change during the course of the exhibition. Including an animated film and an action based sculpture, the work refers to the unseen laborious work hidden behind seemingly pointless actions such as flying an endless amount of paper planes and drawing each frame of an animated film. Reflecting upon the necessity and the value of hard work behind anything worthwhile, as well as its game-like, pointless counterpart, the project aims at overcoming the idea of separation of art and work, in the same time not limiting to this sole understanding.
- References: http://artnewscafe.com/bulletin/index.php/2018/03/06/dechev/
- Material: wood, gold leaf
- Width: 75.00 cm Height: 45.00 cm Depth: 8.00 cm
Artificial Skin, 2015.
- Material: granit
- Width: 135.00 cm Height: 80.00 cm Depth: 20.00 cm
- Property of: Sofia City Art Gallery Collection
- References: http://www.veg.sghg.bg/?page=izbrana_izlojba&exhibition=2015.03.26-2015.04.18